*Sharing Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sales on my favorite conscious brands and products after the original post (scroll down). -XO -Amber
Hello lovelies! Certainly not the first or last blogger to be sharing a gift guide this season–but I did kick myself last year for not sharing a guide to more conscious consumerism (think ethically-sourced, fair-trade, sustainable, social impact-type gifts and companies that you can feel super good about supporting and receiving), so I am getting it up early, and hoping you will help me add to the list as we go along!
I love that consumers are becoming more aware of the power their purchases hold! We vote every day for the type of companies we want to see more of in the world, simply by what we choose to spend our money on. Here are some ideas on making more conscious purchases this upcoming holiday season:
1. Support your Local Movers & Shakers! Everyone loves a home-town goodie, especially handmade or one-of-a-kind, all while supporting a small business owner! A few of my favorite small business with amazing products include: “Ellie in her Element” for women’s jewelry, “Lil’ Hotties Street Salsa” for the best salsa around, and Tekst Artist, for the coolest graphic- and traditional-art that weaves inspiring quotes into the drawings. Be sure to leave a comment with some of your favorite small businesses so we can share the love!
2. Shop certified B Corps that are using business as a force for good! These are companies that have amazing product solutions, while also thinking about the planet and communities.
“B Corp Certification is the only certification that measures a company’s entire social and environmental performance. The B Impact Assessment evaluates how the company’s operations and business model impact its workers, community, environment, and customers.”
My favorite B Corps include Beautycounter, Everyone Products, Patagonia, Athleta, Klean Kanteen, and more. You can search for other Bcorps here. When shopping, you can also look for this logo:
3. Select “Buy one, Donate One” Models. Such as Toms Shoes, where for every purchase of shoes made by a customer, Toms (another certified BCorp, by the way!), donates a pair of shoes to someone in need. They also have new “Giving Partners” where you can choose your style and corresponding cause. Pretty cool!
4. Choose Companies with a deeper social impact! There are some really neat companies out there creating freedom and opportunities, specifically for women artisans around the world, as they develop beautiful products and build profitable businesses!
Check out the gorgeous accessories and home goods from Noonday Collections a fair-trade federation member, and Bcorp, who provides no-interest loans and partners with Artisans around the world using indigenous materials and traditional skills to create modern, fashionable designs.
Another favorite socially-conscious company is SariBari, which helps create economic freedom for women rescued from human- and sex-trafficking in India. They have amazingly beautiful products, particularly their Christmas Stockings and their Bags of all sizes and patterns, handcrafted by the women artisans.
5. Think Sustainably! Ditch presents that are one-time use items, especially plastic junk, and opt instead for items that can be used and enjoyed year-long. See my blog post here for some fun themes!
You can also find really need products that have been made out of recycled materials, like the amazing Rothy’s Shoes, made out of old plastic waterbottles!
Don’t forget about eco-friendly gift wrapping, as well–minimize the amount of wrapping, choose recycled and recyclable materials, or reusable bags. Love the ideas shared here on the “EcoCult” site.
6. Give the gift of Health while supporting really cool businesses! There are so many great health-supporting gifts out there:
A gift set of nontoxic cleaning supplies–two of my favorite companies are Branch Basics (reach out if you want a discount code) and Humble Suds. The ingredients are safe and amazing, and they get the job done, with beautiful packaging too!
A customized clean-beauty gift box. Happy to create one for you with my favorite clean and safe brands, or you can shop my Beautycounter link here, for gorgeous gift sets and only the best ingredients from a certified B Corp, with a whole wing of the company dedicated to advocacy and changing the beauty industry for the better!
- Gift Experiences instead of Stuff
- Make a Donation to a Worthy Cause in Someone’s Honor
- Provide a Service for Loved Ones as Your Gift
- If you Shop Amazon, make sure to use the Amazon Smile link and designate a nonprofit you wish to benefit. Same full website and products, but Amazon gifts a portion of your purchase to charities!
Here are a list of great Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals happening for companies and products that have health, wellness and sustainability as a priority (listed in alphabetical order). I will continue to update as sales pop up on favorite brands!
- Athleta–Certified B corp, sustainably focused fashion. 30% off with code LAYERUP
- Beautycounter Safe and Clean Ingredient Makeup, and personal care products for women, men and kids. Certified B Corp and Women-Owned. 15% off sitewide and free shipping on orders over $50. No code needed.*
- Beeswrap sustainable food wrap alternative. 20% off with promo code BEETHANKFUL
- Branch Basics: Nontoxic cleaners (that really work)! 20% off of all starter kids with promo code: GIVECLEAN
- Klean Kanteen Water Bottles & More: Family-owned, Certified B Corp. 25% off sitewide. No promo code needed.
- Pact–Sustainable, Ethical Fashion (Fair-trade, organic, recyclable and stylish). Up to 70% sitewide, no code needed.
- Pela Eco-friendly Phone Cases. Up to 50% off sitewide. No code needed
- PlanetBox Sustainable Bento Lunch Boxes: 25% off Sidewide (Use promo code PLANETTHANKS20)
- Mighty Nest Eco-friendly and healthy monthly subscription membership. First month $3 and then only $11 after. Products are always valued over $11. (Use promo code “FIRSTFIX3)
- Native--Safe and clean-ingredient deodorant and other personal care products. $10 off a purchase of $30 or more with code “BLACK”
- NetZero Co.waste-free product solutions and really cool gift ideas. 25% off storewide with promo code GFCM
- Noonday fair trade, artisan-made jewlery. Another certified Bcorp, too! Up to 75% off on select styles. No promo code needed.
- Primally Pure: Spend $50, get a free deodorant! I recommend the dry shampoo! Save an additional 10% with my referral code: http://fbuy.me/v/amber_699
- Stasher Bag food-grade silicone “ziplocks” that are reusable and dishwasher safe! Certified B Corp and Women owned. 25% off sitewide, no code needed.
- Swell Bottle 25% off with code HOLIDAY19
- Toms Shoes–Certified B Corp and awesome social missions! 30% off sitewide with code “THANKFUL”
Am I missing one of your favs? Do share! And let me know if you see deals for Rothy’s, Native, Primally Pure, or Cote Nail Polish, please!
*Affiliate link. As an educator, I may receive a small commission for your purchase.